The castle, born as a defence fortification, has ancient origins. Its structure bears witness to its early medieval origins, placing it among the oldest preserved castles in Lombardy. In the Twelfth Century, Alberto of the Albertonis de Capitaneis de Vertua became its proprietor. In medieval times the Castle was a strong bulwark of defence against the troupes of Duke Filippo Maria Visconti. In the following centuries, the castle adapted itself to the new Renaissance taste, transforming itself into an elegant residence. Despite this transformation, its events remained closely linked to Italian history, as evidenced by the documents contained in its archives and the visits of illustrious figures such as Margherita di Savoia, Queen of Italy, and St Carlo Borromeo. The last male descendant of the Vertova Counts died in the first half of 1800’s; their lineage continued with the Countess Elisabetta Camozzi de Gherardi Vertova. Currently owned by Countess Maria Edvige Palma Camozzi de Gherardi Vertova, the castle with its ancient towers, frescoed rooms, works of art and the Italian-style garden, represents a remarkable historical and artistic heritage.